Back in 2010 we rebuilt the engine for our street stock project car. The timing was right because the local track rules had changed to allow the GM Vortec cylinder heads. With this re-build, we ended up with a cost-effective motor that is a strong performer.
Our block was in usable condition, so we were able to re-use it just by honing it. It needed to be pressure washed and cleaned up to remove all of the “metal” that had run through the engine when we detonated it the last race of the prior season.
Using our old 4-bolt main engine block, we set about rebuilding the mill with some of the most economical performance parts on the market. Here is a photo gallery of how that engine build went.
The build in a nutshell:
GM 4-bolt Engine Block, Machined to 4.030-inch. Our connecting rods were GM 5.7 inch rods that had been upgraded with ARP connecting rod bolts – a mandatory upgrade for an engine that will rev to about 6,500 rpm. We had good success with the parts used last year, so we got another set of KB flat-top cast hyper pistons. These are 2-valve relief pistons that feature a high silicon content which provides a better ring, piston to cylinder wall seal. Also, the two-valve relief design can help with achieving the allowable 10.5:1 compression ratio without overly having to mill your cylinder heads.