(Special to Lynn Acklin)
The Southern All Star Dirt Racing Series will begin its 33rd year of sanctioning Super Late Model racing across the southeast with the release of the 2016 working schedule that has 18 races set for now with the addition of more races as dates are being worked out.
The season opens up on Saturday & Sunday February 27th & 28th at the Cochran Speedway in Cochran, GA., for a pair of $5,000 to win 50 lap events. The last time the series was at Cochran was 2010 and former series champion Ivedent Lloyd Jr of Ocala, FL., took the checkered flag. Cochran Speedway will also host a $4,000 to win event on July 3rd.
Cherokee Speedway Gaffney, SC., is back on the 2016 schedule with the annual March Madness event on Saturday & Sunday March 5th & 6th with a $3,000 to win and a $10,000 to win event. Smoky Mt Speedway in Maryville, TN., has two Southern All Star events that will pay $5,000 to win April 23rd & September 17th. Talladega Short Track in Eastaboga, AL., is back on schedule for 2016 with four races, the annual NASCAR weekends on April 30th & October 22nd, as well as the B J Parker Memorial on June 11th and the Michael Head Jr Memorial August 6th will pay $4,000 to win.
New to the series this year will be two events set up for the Senoia Raceway in Senoia, GA., on May 14th paying $4,000 to win and July 2nd the Billy Clanton Memorial paying $5,025. Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, TN., will host the Scott Sexton Memorial on May 21st, the Tennessee National Raceway in Hohenwald, TN., will be back for a $4,000 to win event on May 28th.
The biggest purse so far this season on the schedule is set for the Magnolia Motor Speedway in Columbus, MS., with the Annual Governors Cup paying $10,000 to win and $1,000 to start on July 15th & 16th and the East Alabama Motor Speedway is back with the Alabama State Championships on September 24th & 25th with a pair of $4,000 to win events.
All these events are subject to change as well as events to be added.
SOUTHERN ALL STAR DIRT RACING SERIES SCHEDULE—WORKING SCHEDULE
1. Fri-February 27-Cochran Motor Speedway-Cochran, GA-$5,000
2. Sat-February 28-Cochran Motor Speedway-Cochran, GA-$5,000
3. Sat-March 5-Cherokee Speedway-Gaffney, SC-$3,000
4. Sun-March 6-Cherokee Speedway-Gaffney, SC-$10,000
5. Sat-April 23-Smoky Mt Speedway-Maryville, TN-$5,000
6. Sat-April 30-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$4,000
7. Sat-May 14-Senoia Raceway-Senoia, GA-$4,000
8. Sat-May 21-Volunteer Speedway-Bulls Gap, TN-$5,200
9. Sat-May 28-Tennessee National Raceway-Hohenwald, TN-$4,000
10. Sat-June 11-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$4,200
11. Sat-July 2-Senoia Raceway-Senoia, GA-$5,025
12. Sun-July 3-Cochran Motor Speedway-Cochran, GA-$4,000
13. Fri-Sat-July 15 -16-Magnolia Motor Speedway-Columbus, MS-$10,000
14. Sat-Aug 6-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$4,000
15. Sat-September 17-Smoky Mt Speedway-Maryville, TN-$5,000
16. Sat-September 24-East Alabama Motor Speedway-Phenix City, AL-$4,000
17. Sun-September 25 -East Alabama Motor Speedway-Phenix City, AL-$4,000
18. Sat Oct 8-TBA
19. Sat-October 22-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$4,000
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE- MORE DATES TO BE ADDED