The Southern All Star Dirt Racing Series will start its 34th season of dirt late model racing across the southern United States with 22 events already booked and several more tracks in negotiations with the series for events in 2017.
The series will open up as it has for the past three years at the Cherokee Speedway in Gaffney, SC., for the annual March Madness on Sunday afternoon March 5th that will pay $10,000 to win, then two weeks later the series will head south to the Southern Raceway in Milton, FL., for a March 17-18 weekend with a $4,000 to win event on Friday night and a $5,000 to win on Saturday night. This will be the series second appearance ever at the 3/8ths mile oval as the last appearance was in 1997.
Cochran Motor Speedway in Cochran, GA., is set for race four as it will be held on Saturday night April 8th paying $10,000 to win and then to close out the month of April the series will makes its first stop of the season at the Smoky Mt Speedway in Maryville, TN., for a $7,500 to win in the Rockin with the Stars event.
The month of May will have the first stop of the weekend at the Talladega Short Track in Eastaboga, AL., for the spring NASCAR weekend race on Saturday night May 6th paying $4,000 to win and then the series will make its first stop of the season at the Senoia Raceway in Senoia, GA., for the Billy Clanton Memorial paying $5,025.
June will be another action packed month as the series returns to the Talladega Short Track on June 10th for the B J Parker Memorial paying $4,200 to win, the Saturday night June 17th at the Smoky Mt Speedway paying $5,000 to win and then back to Senoia Raceway for a $4,000 to win on Friday night June 20th and a $5,000 to win on Saturday night July 1st.
The second half of the season will kick off at Johnny Stokes Magnolia Motor Speedway in Columbus, MS., for the annual Governors Cup paying $5,000 to win. Then the series will make it’s return to the middle Tennessee area as Duck River Speedway in Wheel, TN., is back on board with a Saturday night August 5th race paying $4,000 to win, the last time the series was at Duck River was 2001. Saturday night August 12th will be the Michael Head Jr Memorial at Talladega Short Track paying $4,000 to win that will conclude the month of August.
September will and always has been the busiest month for the series as in 2017 will be no different as the series will be at the Tennessee National Raceway in Hohenwald, TN., on Friday night September 1st for a 40 lap $4,000 to win event, then on Saturday night September 2nd the series will be at the Thunderhill Raceway in Lawrenceburg, TN., for a 40 lap $4,000 to win event. The series will be returning to another middle Tennessee track that it has not been too in a long time and that is the Winchester Speedway in Winchester, TN., for the Rebel 40 paying $4,000 to win, the last time the series was at Winchester was 1995. The Alabama State Championships will also be back on the schedule in 2017 as in years past there will be a pair of 40 lap $4,000 to win events on Saturday & Sunday September 23-24.
The month of October has three events so far with the series back for a third race at the Smoky Mt Speedway in Maryville, TN., that pays $10,000 to win and $1,000 to start on October 6-7, the fall NASCAR weekend events will be held at the Talladega Short Track on Saturday night October 14th and then for right now the final event on schedule is he Tennessee State championships at the Crossville Raceway in Crossville, TN., paying $7,500 to win on Saturday October 21st.
There are a few more track that are still looking at booking races for the 2017 season.
For more information concerning the Southern All Stars contact Lynn Acklin – General Manager: 256-924-4546 www.sasdirt.com
2017 SOUTHERN ALL STAR DIRT RACING SERIES SCHEDULE—WORKING SCHEDULE
- Sun-March 5-Cherokee Speedway-Gaffney, SC-$10,000
- Fri-March 17-Southern Raceway-Milton, FL-$4,000
- Sat-March 18-Southern Raceway-Milton, FL-$5,000
- Sat-April 8-Cochran Motor Speedway-Cochran, GA-$10,000
- Sat-April 29-Smoky Mt Speedway-Maryville, TN-$7,500
- Sat-May 6-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$4,000
- Sat-May 20-Senoia Raceway-Senoia, GA-$5,025
- Sat-June 10-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$4,200
- Sat June 17-Smoky Mt Speedway-Maryville, TN -$5,000
- Fri-June 30-Senoia Raceway-Senoia, GA-$4,000
- Sat-July 1-Senoia Raceway-Senoia, GA-$5,000
- Sat-July 15-Magnolia Motor Speedway-Columbus, MS-$5,000
- Sat-August 5-Duck River Speedway-Wheel, TN-$4,000
- Sat-Aug 12-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$4,000
- Fri-September 1-Tennesse National Raceway-Hohenwald, TN-$4,000
- Sat-September 2-Thunderhill Raceway-Lawrenceburg, TN-$4,000
- Sat-September 16-Winchester Speedway-Winchester, TN-$4,000
- Sat-September 23-East Alabama Motor Speedway-Phenix City, AL $4,000
- Sun-September 24 -East Alabama Motor Speedway-Phenix City, AL-$4,000
- October 6-7-Smoky Mt Speedway—Maryville, TN-$10,000
- Sat-October 14-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$4,000
- Sat October 21-Crossville Raceway-Crossville, TN-$7,500