According to the press release on the track’s website, South Dakota’s Park Jefferson International Speedway will begin its 2020 racing season this Saturday (April 25) with the Open Wheel Nationals.
The bullring dirt track is located in Sioux City, South Dakota, a state that has operated without statewide stay-at-home orders during the COVID-19 crisis. The State’s Governor, Kristi Noem has strongly recommended the people of South Dakota practice social distancing.
The track will run a typical race program on the opening night. However, this will not be a typical race night for the operators. The track has announced special guidelines that will apply to the event. “Our goal is to provide a safe environment for all attendees, competitors, and staff.”
For fans wanting to take extra precaution and willing to stay at home, the Speedway is offering a ticket refund for anyone wishing to return their ticket.
Fans unable to make the trip can catch the event on Speed Shift TV to watch some exciting local dirt track racing.
Park Jefferson International Speedway’s guidelines for the event:
1. If you are sick please stay home. This event is being shown on Speed Shift TV so you can see every bit of racing action. A ticket refund will be given.
2. If you are in a high risk category, please consider staying home. Per CDC guidelines, high risk is:
- People 65 years and older
- People who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility
- People of all ages with underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, including:
- People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- People who have serious heart conditions
- People who are immunocompromised (Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications)
- People with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher)
- People with diabetes
- People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
- People with liver disease
3. Anyone choosing to stay home will be eligible for a ticket refund back to the credit card used to purchase the tickets.
4. Grandstands seating will be marked to allow for social distancing. With attendance at less than 20% of our seating capacity, each fan will have adequate space to observe social distancing guidelines.
5. We are requesting all attendees to bring protective gear with them, including face masks or face coverings, protective gloves, goggles, or eye coverings.
6. We will be doing temperature checks and providing hand sanitizer upon entrance to the facility. We reserve the right to turn away anyone who is showing symptoms. Again, anyone who has concerns should stay home and a refund will be given.
7. The food and beverage service will be completely cashless so please bring credit or debit cards. The checkout line will have floor markings 6 feet apart to comply with social distancing guidelines. Attendees are allowed to bring in limited food and beverage in a soft-sided cooler.
8. The clubhouse is an enclosed space and will be closed for this event. No passes to the clubhouse will be for sale.
9. The souvenir booth will be closed. Anyone needing ear muffs, earplugs, or wishing to purchase items will need need to bring them along.
10. The pit area (competitor zone) will be completely closed off from the grandstands. No one will be able to go from the grandstand to the pit area as would be allowed under normal circumstances, and no one from the pit area will be allowed into the grandstand. The competitor viewing area will be in the infield behind the painted line. Competitors and teams should bring their own food and beverage needed as there is no service in the pit area.