Our friends at Impact Racing Products are frequently asked how to fit an Impact helmet properly, and how to take care of a helmet once you have purchased it. The folks at Impact Racing were kind enough to offer us these guidelines:
How do I know what size of helmet I need?
As with all personal safety devices, helmet fit is vitally important and can increase the risk of injury if not properly fit. Carefully measure the head approximately one inch above the eyebrows across a point at the back of the head that gives the largest measurement. Please remember: Helmets will “break in” with use. It is important that the helmet fits as tight as one can comfortably withstand to wear.
If you do not know your hat size, please take a cloth tape measure and measure around the circumference of your head, just above your brow line. Use this measurement with the chart to find out which helmet should fit your needs.
How do I care for my Impact helmet?
Impact Racing Product representatives ask that readers carefully read, understand, and adhere to the following information. Impact helmets are engineered to exacting standards, and correct care is vital to the helmet’s proper functioning.
- To insure proper shield fit and function, it is important to check the tightness of the shield pivot and shield positioning screws before every use. Tighten until screws are firmly seated, careful to not over tighten.
Helmet Cheek Fit Pads
- To change, remove or replace cheek fit pads, turn the helmet upside down and place thumb under cheek pad and ”÷pinch’ thumb with fingers on exterior shell. This will prevent separating and helmet upholstery from the shell as you remove the cheek fit pad. With free hand, slowly pull the cheek fit pad away from the hook and loop interior starting at the corner. Replace with new cheek pad.
Helmet Inner Liner
- After a race, wet fit pads and liner should be dried in the shade using a fan.
Mini Champ & Vapor Helmet Inserts
- Helmet is a size large without insert. To place insert into the helmet perform the following:
- Hold Helmet with base opening facing you.
- Carefully fold back hat band upholstery toward you around the entire circumference of the helmet.
- Insert a Quik-Fit insert at the rear of helmet first and continue to push insert in and smooth insert down around the entire crown of the helmet. Fold hat band liner back into postition.
- All fastening hardware and straps should be checked regularly for strength and security. Keeping all components of the helmet clean and well cared for is very important. Even perspiration can compromise the effectiveness of the hardware and straps.
What radio options do you offer and how can I find out what I need?
We offer kits from Racing Electronics, P.C.I. Race Radios, and Rugged Radio for Off-Road, Stock Car, Open Wheel and Drag Racing.
There are three basic styles of jacks and connectors in the motorsports world. Using the proper jack & connector set-up is essential as each form of motorsport has it’s own set of wiring standards. An improper jack/conductor system will prevent communication capabilities so be sure to verify the conductor style required for your series prior to ordering. Please contact a sales representative at 317-852-3067 if you need help.
For more information on the safety products manufactured by Impact Racing Products, visit them online at www.impactraceproducts.com.