Christian Eckes, piloting his #15 Toyota, held off Sheldon Creed and Venturini teammate Logan Seavey in the overtime laps at the Springfield Mile, chalking up his second win of the ARCA season.
Many of the ARCA drivers are not accustomed to racing on dirt, so this was going to be a simple survival race. However, Buck Stevens blew up an engine on the first lap of practice in his #06 Dodge, and withdrew from the event. Will Kimmel’s #69 Ford also experienced a blown engine in practice and withdrew. Chase Purdy’s #8 Toyota lost an engine on lap 25, which brought out the first caution.
2018 ARCA Allen Crowe 100 Photo Gallery:
Zane Smith’s #41 Toyota experienced overheating issues and retired on lap 58. Joe Graf Jr., reported having electrical problems, locked up the brakes oh his #77 Ford entering pit road on lap 87 under green. Graf lost control and crashed into some of the pit road barrels, damaging the front end. No caution was waved but Graf’s car was done for the day.
The second caution was waved on lap 47 when Bryan Dauzat #57 Chevrolet spun on the dirt in turn 3. Dauzat brought out another yellow in a single car spin on lap 77. Riley Herbst spun on lap 83, bringing out the caution. On the restart, several cars – including Dauzat – spun while the green flag waved. The sixth and final yellow was caused when Tommy Vigh, Jr.s’ #10 Toyota was spun by Dauzat near the end of the race – making it the fifth of six cautions Dauzat was involved in for the day.
While Eckes may have won the battle, Sheldon Creed has all but clinched the title with his second place finish.
2018 ARCA Racing Series. Allen Crowe 100 at the Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Illinois. Sunday, August 19, 2018
106-laps on a 1-mile dirt oval track. Average speed: 71.2 mph. Pole speed: 106.396 mph. Cautions: 6 for 38 laps. Margin of Victory: .305 sec. Lead changes: 6
- (8) #15 Christian Eckes/Toyota
- (5) #28 Sheldon Creed/Toyota
- (4) #20 Logan Seavey/Toyota
- (11) # 27 Travis Braden/Ford
- (7) #24 Ryan Unzicker/Toyota
- (12) #52 Bret Holmes/Toyota
- (1) #32 Gus Dean/Chevrolet
- (9) #16 Kelly Kovski/Chevrolet
- (10) #18 Riley Herbst/Toyota
- (18) #25 Natalie Decker/Toyota
- (14) #3 Joe Cooksey/Ford
- (13) #57 Bryan Dauzat/Chevrolet
- (16) #10 Tommy Vigh, Jr./Toyota
- (20) #48 Brad Smith/Ford
- (17) #03 Alex Clubb/Ford
- (6) #77 Joe Graf, Jr./Ford (crash)
- (2) #41 Zane Smith/Toyota (overheating)
- (3) #8 Chase Purdy/Toyota (oil line)
- (15) #34 Mike Basham/Chevrolet
- (19) #11 Richard Doheny/Ford (transmission)
Con Nicolopoulos #0 (Chevrolet), Buck Stevens #06 (Dodge) – engine blown on first practice lap, Will Kimmel #69 (Ford) – blown engine, and Dale Shearer #73 (Ford) withdrew from the race.