Site
Videos
Posted in  Project K9

Installing Speedway’s Adjustable A-Arm Kit on K9

I got a fresh delivery from the mailman today: Speedway’s Adjustable A-Arm Kit for my Mod. Since Christmas day, when I discovered that my right front upper A-Arm was cracked, I’ve been waiting to replace it. I managed to get it ordered earlier last week, and 5 days later, presto, it’s on my doorstep.

Speedway has produced a pretty trick little kit, and I like the fact that it has a cross bracket, which gives me a little more since of security. That in itself may not make it any stronger than other A-Arms, but I like it and it’s my money spent, so that’s all that really matters.

I could have ordered just the cross shaft (part number 910-34362) from Speedway to replace the broken one, but I wanted to start with solid front end. So replacing the entire assembly was the way to go. As I discussed in the last blog, the upper ball joint was bent, so replacing that was on the list as well. I ordered the Speedway Screw in upper ball joint (part number 910-34323).

Speedway Motors Adjustable A-Arm Kit. Everything you need in one kit.

The A-Arm kit included everything needed to assemble the upper A-Arm:

(1) Ball joint collar (910-34361)
(2) 1/2″ L/H heim rod ends (175-0305)
(1) clevis end with 5/8″ R/H threads (910-02006),
(2) 5/8″ R/H Jam nuts for clevis and ball joint collar (175-0246)
(1) 5 1/2″ Short side Swaged tube (910-34363-5.5)
(1) 6 1/2″ Long side Swaged tube (910-34363-6.5)

The old Adjustable A-Arm, complete with crack. It was time for a new one.

At this point the old A-Arm was still good for two purposes. We needed the dimensions so that we could assemble the new A-Arm to the exact specifications as the old one, and we could TIG-weld repair the old one for a temporary replacement at the track if needed. We still have a couple of the non adjustable upper A-Arms as backup parts if needed.

Our repaired Upper A-Arm that will serve as a temp replacement at the track if needed.

Non Adjustable Upper A-Arm. We'll hang on to these as last resort back up parts.

Assembling the part was clean and easy. Measuring the old swaged tube length is key to the success of the assmebly. We started by installing the heims on the ends of the swaged tubes, and the collar on the opposite ends. The threads on the collar and the heims are opposite, so when you turn the tube, the entire length will extend or retract for adjustment. If you start with the heim and the collar threads fully threaded into the tubes, you can extend the length by rotating the tube. This keeps the threads even on both ends.

The new A-Arm is exactly the same dimension as the old one.

Assembling the part was clean and easy. Measuring the old swaged tube length is key to the success of the assmebly. We started by installing the heims on the ends of the swaged tubes, and the collar on the opposite ends. The threads on the collar and the heims are opposite, so when you turn the tube, the entire length will extend or retract for adjustment. If you start with the heim and the collar threads fully threaded into the tubes, you can extend the length by rotating the tube. This keeps the threads even on both ends.

Completed and ready to install.

Once the swaged tubes are at the proper length, the cross bracket can be installed and all the hardware can be tightened. I was pleased with this kit, and glad to have the extra security of new parts on the front end, especially on the right side. Just a little piece of mind when we go diving into the corner on the first lap, of the first race, of the first season with this car.

Now we can move forward with the rest of the front end assembly. I had ordered some other Speedway Motors goodies that will complete the right side front end rebuild. Next blog will cover these goodies like the new hubs/rotors, bearings and lower ball joints.


Post A Comment

Post A Comment

OneDirt Newsletter Signup