The traveling Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt series visited Ringgold, Georgia, for action at the 1/3 mile clay oval Boyds Speedway for the next round of the racing series. Initial reports indicated that 45 late models unloaded in the pit area, ready to do battle in the $12,000 to win Shamrock 50.
Chris Madden sets the quick time in qualifying, which lands him in the front row of the first heat race, next to Ricky Weiss. Madden takes the early lead with Weiss chasing, and looking for passing room on the bottom. The two battle side-by-side with Madden taking the lead again. Weiss attempts a challenge from the top then the bottom as they continue to turn laps. Weiss manages to pull along side on the final lap but can’t get by Madden’s car. The first heat ends with Madden taking the checkered flag first.
In heat two, Brandon Overton takes the early lead over Kyle Bronson. Bobby Pierce finds a line and begins to run Overton down but runs out of laps as Overton wins heat race two. Earl Pearson Jr. and Hudson O’Neal lead the front row in heat three, where the pair wage a war for the lead. O’Neal moves to the lead after using a high side slide through turn three to get by Pearson. Using the bottom line, O’Neal steadily pulls away and wins by several lengths when the checkered flag drops.
Heat race three began with Earl Pearson Jr. and young driver Hudson O’Neal on the front row. O’Neal jumps the first start and takes the lead on the restart after a two corner battle with Pearson. Once in the lead, Hudson O’Neal finds the bottom line and drives to a win by several car lengths.
The final heat race was filled with late model stars with Scott Bloomquist and Tyler Millwood on the front row. Jonathan “Superman” Davenport was buried deep in the back of the pack. Bloomquist takes an early lead and begins to drive away from the pack. With the laps ticking down, Davenport moves to the high line and starts to move through the pack with Billy Moyer Jr. Despite their effort, Bloomquist cruises to comfortable win in the forth heat race.
The Main Event
Chris Madden and Hudson O’Neal earned front row honors when the green flag dropped on the 50-lapper. Madden took the early lead and began to pull away from the second place car of Hudson O’Neal. Just behind the two leaders, Bloomquist had moved up to battle Overton for the third spot. Getting by quickly, Bloomquist rapidly challenges and moves past O’Neal and mounts a challenge for the lead.
Almost midway through the race, Bloomquist pulls even with Madden, who is running the bottom line. Bloomquist gets a good launch off of the turn and the two drag race down the back straight. Finding some traction, Bloomquist takes the lead coming out of turn three and starts to put some distance from the pack. With a handful of laps remaining, Madden attempts to run down the leader but found himself passed by a hard-charging Earl Pearson Jr.
Pearson had passed three cars in two laps and was pressing the leader. Bloomquist and Pearson fight through lap traffic with Pearson getting to the leader’s back bumper on the last lap. After battling through the first two turns, Pearson launches off the turn three corner to pull even with Bloomquist. The two wage a side-by-side drag race to the line where Pearson wins by a nose.
RACE RESULTS: MARCH 23, 2018
Qualifying Group A
1. Chris Madden (13.966); 2. Brandon Overton (14.031); 3. Ricky Weiss (14.058); 4. Kyle Bronson; 5. Jimmy Owens; 6. Bobby Pierce; 7. Mike Marlar; 8. Darrell Lanigan; 9. Shanon Buckingham; 10. Michael Page; 11. Austin Tyler Smith; 12. John Ownbey; 13. Casey Roberts; 14. Don O’Neal; 15. Jason Heitt; 16. Joey Coulter; 17. Ray Cook; 18. Mike Maresca; 19. Jadon Frame; 20. Tim McCreadie; 21. Robby Moses; 22. Justin Duty.
Qualifying Group B
1. Earl Pearson Jr (14.053); 2. Scott Bloomquist (14.194); 3. Hudson O’Neal (14.245); 4. Tyler Millwood; 5. Brandon Sheppard; 6. Cory Hedgecock; 7. Billy Ogle Jr; 8. Dale McDowell; 9. Jason Jameson; 10. Mason Zeigler; 11. Jason Croft; 12. Billy Moyer Jr; 13. Josh Richards; 14. Gregg Satterlee; 15. Frank Ingram; 16. Ryan King; 17. Dennis Erb Jr; 18. Jonathan Davenport; 19. Eric Webber; 20. Will Roland; 21. Boom Briggs; 22. Blake Spencer;
Heat Race #1 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer):
1. Chris Madden; 2. Ricky Weiss; 3. Mike Marlar; 4. Jimmy Owens; 5. Shanon Buckingham; 6. Casey Roberts; 7. Jason Heitt; 8. Robby Moses; 9. Ray Cook; 10. Austin Tyler Smith; 11. Jadon Frame.
Heat Race #2 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer):
1. Brandon Overton; 2. Bobby Pierce; 3. Darrell Lanigan; 4. Kyle Bronson; 5. Michael Page; 6. John Ownbey; 7. Tim McCreadie; 8. Don O’Neal; 9. Joey Coulter; 10. Justin Day; 11. Mike Maresca.
Heat Race #3 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer):
1. Hudson O’Neal; 2. Earl Pearson Jr; 3. Brandon Sheppard; 4. Jason Jameson; 5. Josh Richards; 6. Frank Ingram; 7. Dennis Erb Jr; 8. Jason Croft; 9. Billy Ogle Jr; 10. Boom Briggs; 11. Eric Webber.
Heat Race #4 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer):
1. Scott Bloomquist; 2. Cory Hedgecock; 3. Dale McDowell; 4. Tyler Millwood; 5. Mason Zeigler; 6. Billy Moyer Jr; 7. Jonathan Davenport; 8. Gregg Satterlee; 9. Ryan King; 10. Will Roland; 11. Blake Spencer.
B Main #1 (12 Laps – Top 3 Transfer):
1. Don O’Neal; 2. John Ownbey; 3. Shanon Buckingham; 4. Jason Heitt; 5. Casey Roberts; 6. Tim McCreadie; 7. Austin Tyler Smith; 8. Joey Coulter; 9. Ray Cook; 10. Robby Moses; 11. Justin Duty; 12. Jadon Frame; 13. Mike Maresca; 14. Michael Page.
B Main #2 (12 Laps – Top 3 Transfer):
1. Josh Richards; 2. Mason Zeigler; 3. Jonathan Davenport; 4. Billy Moyer Jr; 5. Jason Croft; 6. Frank Ingram; 7. Gregg Satterlee; 8. Dennis Erb Jr; 9. Ryan King; 10. Boom Briggs; 11. Eric Webber; 12. Blake Spencer; 13. Billy Ogle Jr.
1. Earl Pearson Jr; 2. Scott Bloomquist; 3. Chris Madden; 4. Brandon Overton; 5. Hudson O’Neal; 6. Dale McDowell; 7. Cory Hedgecock; 8. Brandon Sheppard; 9. Ricky Weiss; 10. Bobby Pierce; 11. Darrell Lanigan; 12. Mike Marlar; 13. Tim McCreadie; 14. Jason Jameson; 15. Jimmy Owens; 16. Don O’Neal; 17. Josh Richards; 18. John Ownbey; 19. Jonathan Davenport; 20. Tyler Millwood; 21. Shanon Buckingham; 22. Mason Zeigler; 23. Gregg Satterlee; 24. Kyle Bronson; 25. Dennis Erb Jr; 26. Boom Briggs.