Our project car needed some serious chassis setup help. The previous owner adopted a policy of “all things are created equal” and had mounted a different type shock on each corner of the car. We called a real Pro for some help.
Engine builds always seem to come at a price versus power compromise. What if you could build a high performance engine at half the cost of an off the shelf racing engine from the big dollar engine builders? That was our goal with this engine build.
It’s been some time since we last updated the K9 Sport Mod project car but don’t let that fool you. There’s been plenty of action on the beast. We’ve been keeping it under wraps for a grand unveiling at the track until Murphy’s Law came into play.
The K9 Sport Mod is getting ready for it’s date on the track. Changing the suspension over to a full on three link with a urethane bushing pull bar was going to make some huge differences in the way the car reacts on the track. When a race car goes through a major change like this, or experiences race damage repair, it’s always smart to put it on the scales and get a new baseline.
Finally! The K9 Sport Modified made it out to the track. Although the expectations weren’t that high because the driver had a significant amount of track rust from a couple of seasons of inactivity, the car was seemingly ready.
Over the winter and in the racing off season, Mike Gibson at Victorville Auto Raceway decided to start his own Sport Modified Class. The rules for this new class were a bastardization of the IMCA Northern Sport mod and IMCA Southern Sport Mod rules. As the season approached, talk of some of the local favorites moving into the new Sport Mod class started growing and getting bigger on the message boards. Onedirt.com was just getting started then, so we got to see a lot of the internet chatter about this class. It was looking like the new sport mod class was going to be very popular. It was at that time I decided to join the cool people and convert the K9 car into a sport mod.
Dirt track modifieds aren’t much to look at – they have an appearance that only a fabricator could love – but don’t let their simple flat panels fool you. Underneath these plain-Jane exteriors lies a marvel of contradictions. Take the power train for example – these mods typically use first generation small block Chevy 350 or 400 cubic inch engines, circa the late ’60s and early ’70s. Taking these forty-year-old engines and blending in a mix of technically advanced components, to achieve more horsepower than the power plant was ever designed to make, is nothing short of a modern miracle.
Alrighty, I’ve been getting enough flak about “when is Bobby Kbro going to make it back to the track?” It’s time to thrash on the K9 Modified and get back on the dirt so that all my “friends” and fellow racers will rest easier. I got some great things done and planed for my return to the dirt. Let me give you the current status of the #K9 Dirt Modified car I call “The Bulldog”.
Seems as if you can track my maintenance schedule by event days, if not holidays. I didn’t plan it that way. It’s just a fact that getting the parts and the maintenance time at the right place only works out on special days. The parts hunt was fairly easy with the exception of finding the right ball joints. As is the case with buying a used racecar, you’re never certain of the parts that are on the car which can test your patience when you need to replace them. That’s exactly what happened when I tried to buy new ball joints.
Alright, Christmas day and I haven’t even started my wish list yet. For a racer, Christmas is just one more working day in the off season to get your car ready for the next race season. The clock is ticking and the season will be here before we know it. Although we haven’t really decided which division we are going to be running in next season, we can get a start on some of the systems now by checking parts and replacing the damaged components that are common between both race divisions (sport mods and IMCA mods).
I got a fresh delivery from the mailman today: Speedway’s Adjustable A-Arm Kit for my Mod. Since Christmas day, when I discovered that my right front upper A-Arm was cracked, I’ve been waiting to replace it. I managed to get it ordered earlier last week, and 5 days later, presto, it’s on my doorstep.
Alright. I’ve got an old, worn out, handbuilt modified. The season is over and it’s time to start getting ready for the next season. The first place to start is taking tally of what we have to work with.